In 1918, the Selma Council was formed as a second class council. A second class council was one without a full time professional. Records show this council only existed until 1920.
Not much is known about Scouting in the Montgomery area before 1919. In 1919, the Montgomery Council was formed with Mr. H. E. Hoppen as the first Scout Executive. From a national written report, we do know that one of the first troops in what is now the Tukabatchee Area Council was founded in Tuskegee in 1919 by Captain Arthur B. Hayes and Mr. R. S. Darnaby. This was Troop 35 which later became Troop 70 when incorporated into the Montgomery Area Council.
In 1936, the Montgomery Council expanded with the addition of Autauga, Bullock, Butler, Chilton, Coosa, Dallas, Elmore, Lee, Lowndes, Macon, Tallapoosa and Wilcox counties. The council name was changed to the Montgomery Area Council and the Boy Scout program had begun its expansion in central Alabama.
In 1938, there was a complete reorganization and in 1939, a special effort was begun to develop Scouting in Selma, Alexander City, Tallasee, Greenville and the other areas of central Alabama. During the war years, Scouting continued to grow and in 1944 Crenshaw County joined the Montgomery Area Council.
In 1947, Lee County separated from the council and the council took on a new name to better signify its broad area of responsibility. The new name was the Tukabatchee Area Council.
In 1957, Perry County joined the Tukabatchee Area Council and the council again served 14 counties.
Over the years, Scouting in central Alabama has continued to grow. As of 2009, the Tukabatchee Area Council serves nearly 12,000 youth members annually in Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Venturers, Explorers and in-school Learning for Life members. Traditional membership in Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts and Venturers averages 7,000 members. Adult volunteer registrations average 2,000 annually.
The preceeding text is an excerpt from James E. Hinkle's Long-Term Camping in the Tukabatchee Area Council (c) 1998